Warning: include_once(/home/cure/public_html/gout/images/button_drop.bak) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/cure/public_html/blog/wp-settings.php on line 176

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/cure/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/../../../gout/images/button_drop.bak' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/cure/public_html/blog/wp-settings.php on line 176
An Interesting Way to Treat Gout Uric Acid Manipulation Through PH | Cure Gout Now

An Interesting Way to Treat Gout Uric Acid Manipulation Through PH

Click Here To Send This Post To A Friend

When this article was originally posted to the blog it generated a lot of discussion from fellow gout sufferers, so I thought you might like to see it again in case you missed out first time round….

Gout uric acid is one of the primary contributing factors to the painful symptoms experienced by gout sufferers. Therefore, controlling the production of that substance is key to getting symptoms under control.  One of the techniques that are now being used to accomplish this is by changing the pH level of the body in order to manipulate its uric acid production.

pH stands for the power of hydrogen and refers to the acidity level in the body.  That is, when the pH levels of the body are raised, it becomes more alkaline, while lowering pH levels makes the body more acidic.

Therefore, by raising the pH levels in your body, you are effectively practicing a natural gout treatment.  The theory behind this is that by making the body more alkaline, uric acid levels will be reduced.  This is because uric acid can be diluted by drinking water, and the more alkaline the body is, the more water-soluble uric acid becomes.  And so, the higher the ratio of alkaline to acid in the body, that is, the higher the pH level of the body (or the number on the pH scale) the more alkaline your body will be, and the more uric acid will be dissolved into the water you drink.

If the uric acid level of the body is kept below a certain level (6.0mg/dL for men and slightly less than that for women) then gout crystal formation will be much less likely to occur.

In order to make your body more alkaline, the most commonly recommended technique is to drink alkaline (ionized) water.  This is water that has additional OH oxygen as opposed to O2. You can drink it or cook with it.

Alkaline foods and beverages can also be eaten in order to increase the pH level of the body.  This is trickier for some people, though, since the pH level of foods is not mentioned on the nutrition labels on food product packaging.  Some foods that are known for their alkalinity, though, and that are also good for helping to control gout symptoms for other properties such as anti-inflammatory, include:

- Cherries (the darker, the better)
- Celery
- Strawberries

Alcohol, which is highly acidic, as well as other acidic foods should be avoided as it rapidly decreases the pH level of the body, negating the impact that the alkaline foods would have.

If you want to know more about increasing the pH level of your body in order to help treat your gout, you should speak to your doctor.  He or she will be able to advise you as to whether this is the right kind of treatment for you, and will be able to assist you in choosing the right foods and finding a supplier for ionized water.

You may find that in addition to changing the pH level of the body, gout uric acid can also be reduced with the use of certain herbs.

Not signed up for Lisa's Cure Gout Now newsletter yet? Click here to signup today and learn new methods for overcoming gout.

If you are interested in finding out more about Lisa's Cure Gout Now range of products, including our "famous" gout cookbook, recipes, diets and natural home remedies then click here now to see our extensive Cure Gout Now catalog....

25 Responses

1. SHANNON
    July 24th, 2008 | 4:46 pm

excellent information!

2. shannon
    July 24th, 2008 | 5:02 pm

hello,
    I was wondering if there were any tips you could give….every morning now when i wake up and begin to walk around, the pain just hits me so hard and it’s burning aching pain. Is there anything I can do before going to bed at night or is that something I just have to deal with until I get the uric acid level down?

3. Larry
    July 24th, 2008 | 5:03 pm

What are your thoughts on the school of thought that you can use apple cider vinigar to treat gout? Thanks in advance.

Larry

4. Wayne Hall
    July 24th, 2008 | 5:19 pm

The Ph theory has help me enormously with the reoccurance of attacks. I found that the more water I consume the less uric acid my body stores. Hydration has proven to be key for me. Thank you Lisa for sharing the knowledge. No more pain… I love it.

5. Joe Taylor
    July 24th, 2008 | 5:54 pm

Thanks for the tip Lisa. I am eating more cherries than ever and drinking more water.

6. sam pooya
    July 24th, 2008 | 8:40 pm

this article was very goog.

need more info for oh food

7. Vaughn Wilson
    July 24th, 2008 | 9:49 pm

Lisa, I’ve had gout off & on for some 20 years. Started in my left big toe but has reoccurred in my foot, ankle, elbow, wrist, hand, fingers. My best description of gout is that you are certain you have a broken bone in the joint affected! Pain is debilitating! Twice I have gone to the Emergency Room to get it xrayed! — It is often associated with a strained joint, such as lifting something too heavy with my hand/arm. I include overindulgence in just about any shellfish: shrimp, scallops, crab. No problems with oysters, yet. And too many baked beans will do it every time! No problems eating salmon or other fish, though.
    I now take allopurinol daily to reduce chances of an attack, and have colchicine to start immediately upon an attack (4 pills a day until pain subsides or I feel diahrea coming near, usually within 2 days). If you get to the diahrea stage, it will be the worst you have ever had!! No other side effects from the medications, that I know of.

Hope this experience adds to your knowledge. Vaughn

8. July 25th, 2008 | 12:27 am

For my gout I have been trying to control my body pH. It is a very wise strategy. For that I have been taking baking soda (1/2 of a tea spoon) in the morning with 1/2 liter of filtered water and before sleeping. It causes me to wake up twice at night for the washroom and it causes a lot of gases too, but since I started there has been no recurrences or flares since my first gout attack, in the ankle. It is true that I turned into a vegetarian, avoid all peas, spinach, coulifoweres and mushrooms, and eat a lot of cherries whenever possible. But although not scientific, the explanation is that by elevating the stomach pH (with alkaline water or anything else) the body will try to return the stomach to its natural level of pH=4, and it will do it by “stealing” acids from the blood, so that a “alkaline chemical space” will allow the uric acid to be diluted and eventually be flushed out by the urine.

9. July 25th, 2008 | 1:58 am

Which particular herbs are good for gout? I supplement with many herbs but don’t know of any for gout.The dark cherry does help and all fruits and vegetables which keeps my body alkaine, even though I need more protein and fat than the average person for my insulin resistance. And I eat sardines and salmon for my heart and chloresterol. My uric acid levels seem to stay at 8–high but no gout attacks in two years-knocking on wood!

Micki Peluso

10. Harry
    July 25th, 2008 | 10:53 am

Hi Lisa
    Thanks for all the good remedial info. I read that 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar taken once a day help combat gout. Ive also taken to eating strawberry and black cherry yoghurt frequently as a starter and drink more water than ever before. All Ive removed from my diet is gravy and seem to be fully recovered and enjoying the foods I prefer.

Thanks again and regards

Harry

11. Vicky Lilly
    July 25th, 2008 | 6:36 pm

I have been diagnosed with gout about 2 months ago. The podiatrist gave me some samples of Celebrex. I have been avoid alcohol, but I still eat red meat. I have heard that taking 1/2 t. of baking soda in a glass of water 2x daily with help. Is this true? What about pure tart cherry juice? Right now my ankle is so swollen that I can hardly walk. I am not overweight. I do not have diabetes. This has been ruled out by a blood test. I want to cure this ailment without taking drugs. Is there anything else that I can do?

12. July 26th, 2008 | 3:39 am

Great article! I am into Holistic health and my Mom who was getting gout since Jan at the age of 86 is not anymore. I see now why. We eat very, very little sugar if at all and drink no soda. Eating a very balanced diet with organic fruits and veggies.

Mom just moved in with us in Feb of this year. She was also a little overweight and has lost about 30-35 lbs. Everybody says she looks great!!!

Thanks for the wonderful articles!

13. July 26th, 2008 | 1:02 pm

i have attacks of gout but my uric acid is not elavated. i have had gout for many years. have tried several cure alls still it come back i am on medication. so i guess my question to do you have any suggestions. thank you

14. July 29th, 2008 | 1:48 pm

Shannon -

There are a couple of tips on this page that may help if you have looked at your diet already.
    - make sure you are hydrated before you go to bed.
    - Keet your effected joint warm
    - Some people find that a light massage in the area can help before pressure is put on the joint.

Larry, Mallie & Vicky

Here is a post that may be helpful to you both. It covers some herbs that can help and also a little bit about apple cider vinager.

As for taking Baking Soda - Yes, many people have found that taking baking soda has helped them…

Unless you are advised otherwise by your doctor do not take more than 4 teaspoons per day. Spread your intake out throughout the day. One teaspoon dissolved in water 4 times a day, or 1/2 teaspoon more often.

Baking soda can have side effects. Speak to your doctor first, especially if you have high blood pressure.

15. September 17th, 2008 | 12:02 pm

I have been trying to control the pH of my body by drinking alkaline drinks, water and ionised water up three Litres a day and I have seen positive results in that for about three months I have only taken a single declofenac tablet which was not the case before.I did this after your advice that by making the body more alkaline as well as by taking in a lot of water(fluids),uric acid levels will be reduced.The immediate changeI experienced is frequent urination which I think resulted in flushig out of dissolved uric acid crystals.
    Thanks for your good advice.

16. john
    September 21st, 2008 | 12:47 am

I have had gout for 30 years or more i have recently started taking apple cider vinager i get a blood test every month .Have now stopped taking culturcien and use a product over here called ARGO 4 seems to be working so far
    john

17. fructuoso cana
    September 26th, 2008 | 12:44 am

Dear Madam Lisa,
    Although I have not experience serious gout decease I take your advise seriously and I am eating now healthy foods fruits and vegetables selected fishes and sometimes chicken and now ionized water to meet the right ph. All these things because of your varying tips which you send for free, please accept my humble appreciation and thank you and best regards…..

18. Phil Kleidon
    October 1st, 2008 | 7:48 am

Dear Lisa,

Thanks for all the info, I have suffered greatly with gout since I was 26 yrs old. I have to agree with the water and fresh vegies and fruit. This is awesome info and needs to told o people, I went the route of the doctors and it only gets worse on medication. No wonder they call it a practice, any way keep up the good work.
    Phil

19. bruce
    October 1st, 2008 | 10:15 am

THANK’S FOR THE LETTER ,I GET ,HAVE CUT DOWN ON A LOT I DID MY TOES IS SO MUCH BETTER, MY HAND DOESN’T HURT . I WILL CHECK WITH MY DOCTOR FOR THE WATER WHERE I CAN GET IT .THANK’S AGAIN

20. anya macmillan
    October 5th, 2008 | 2:02 pm

which are the “certain herbs” that you refer to in the last paragraph of your email.
    Thanks,
    Anya

21. October 10th, 2008 | 11:37 am

Anya -

Take a look at this post on the blog and you’ll see a list of herbs that can help

Thanks

Lisa

22. October 20th, 2008 | 5:35 pm

Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for all your advice, I do of course suffer very bad gout attacks first my toe, now subsided, but now in the knuckle of my left hand. This swell’s to treble its size and of course very painful. I do not expect to be free of this debillitating problem but your advice has certainly helped to bring down both the swelling and reduce the pain. I must try the water cure. The trouble is I enjoy a brandy at lunch. Thank you Lisa for your advice, it was most welcome. Colin

23. Mike Duffy
    November 4th, 2008 | 3:27 pm

Dear Lisa,
    I have controlled gout through natural means for nearly 14 years. I have great respect for the virtues of black cherry juice (8 ounces daily) and hydration. Equally important is recognizing signs of the onset of an attack and early intervention. I find that spacing 4 ounce doses of black cherry juice every 2 hours, lots of water, and immediate adoption of a gout freindly diet will very often make attack symtoms subside. My last serious attack was 14 months ago. I let my gout get ahead of me. I had it in both ankles and one knee. I was on crutches for 5 weeks. The pain (and swearing) were intense.
    I am not over-weight and I don’t drink. I tend to over-indulge in red meats, hard cheese, and breads. My gout is my responsibility. I can choose to manage it sensibly or suffer the consequences. To that end, I consider your
    research information to be a valuable
    tool! Thanks much!

24. dave
    November 5th, 2008 | 7:27 am

I have found mostly processed meats like deli meats such as savaloys, cherrios, silverside, trigger my gout they are now off my diet completely

25. ed powers
    November 5th, 2008 | 1:53 pm

i started reading your articles and letters seriously. very valuable advice and insights are there. the comments from sufferers are also extremely useful.
    ed