Dont Let Gout Cause Kidney Failure

Click Here To Send This Post To A Friend

One of the causes of gout that many people fail to consider is impaired kidney health.  If you’re trying to manage kidney problems, you’re at a greater risk of hyperuricemia, and are therefore more prone to experiencing gout attacks.   The reason for this is if the kidneys are not functioning at their best, they struggle to process and remove excess uric acid from the body, allowing it to build up in the bloodstream and ultimately crystallize in the joints.

The people most likely to suffer from gout as a result of a kidney disorder are those who have adult polycystic kidney disease, the most commonly inherited form of kidney disease. Symptoms include pain in the back, kidney area or lower sides, headaches, UTI’s and blood in the urine.

If you believe you might have any form of kidney disease it is important to see your doctor right away.  You will also want to educate yourself as to the many ways in which your life will be affected and which treatments will best suit your needs.  You will need to understand the relationship between your kidney disease and your gout in order to treat it properly.

Similarly, it seems that gout can also increase the risk of experiencing kidney stones.  Between 10 and 40 percent of gout patients will experience kidney stones at any one time after they have developed hyperuricemia.  Though the stones will typically be composed of uric acid, they may also include other materials too like calcium oxalate, calcium phosphate, or additional substances combined with uric acid.

If you’re suffering from kidney stones you can probably expect to experience one or all of the following symptoms; acute pain in the lower back/side, groin or abdomen, nausea, vomiting, blood in the urine and sometimes fever or chills.

However, the good news is that there are steps you can take to improve the health of your kidneys, therefore avoiding the development or kidney stones, while minimizing the chances of a gout attack at the same time.  For example, adopting healthy lifestyle choices in terms of exercise and diet will increase your resistance to all of these problems.

Uric acid build up can also cause more severe problems for the kidneys; chronic uric acid interstitial nephropathy (kidney damage) occurs when there is a build-up of uric acid crystals to the point that they block the exit of fluids from the kidney.  However, when properly managed, this condition can be reversible in many cases. Also a sudden increase in excess uric acid can lead to full kidney failure, however this is very rare.

To keep kidney’s healthy and avoid gout flare ups treatment may include simple steps such as changing some of your dietary choices, but may also include more specific therapies like the use of vitamin C, which is becoming increasingly recognized for its abilities to lower uric acid levels in the body.  It’s also important to make sure you drink sufficient amounts of water to keep your body well hydrated at all times as this helps to dilute uric acid levels and gives the kidney’s a helping hand in flushing out the unwanted uric acid.

The decision for the treatments you’ll be using will be directly related to the causes of gout that are influencing your attacks.  Get to know your body so that you’ll be able to make informed decisions along with your doctor.  Be sure to ask questions and educate yourself for the best possible treatment.

Not signed up for Lisa's Cure Gout Now newsletter yet? Click here to signup today and learn new methods for overcoming gout.

If you are interested in finding out more about Lisa's Cure Gout Now range of products, including our "famous" gout cookbook, recipes, diets and natural home remedies then click here now to see our extensive Cure Gout Now catalog....

8 Responses

1. alaice
    October 16th, 2008 | 6:41 pm

Can I ask a question here. I have had a bout of gout. And I’ve broken my ankle on the 1st of June and the gout has become a reoccuring problem . The pt tells me that as long as I’m rehabbing the ankle the gout will remain a problem. WHY?

2. October 16th, 2008 | 8:24 pm

I lost a kidney 2 years ago.(Tumour). My remaining organ is healthy. I suffered my first gout attack last week. Extremely painful - lasted about 10 days. ( Triggered, I think by an untypical steak sandwich x2 …..)
    I hvae been taking about 2 tablespoonfuls a day of Acerola Cherry juice, which contain perhaps the highest concentration of vitamin C. I also took Diclofenac, an anti inflammatory painkiller. Very effective, if taken with meals AND an anti nausea/stomach ache drug. It took me 5 days to get bthe pain under control.
    I find plenty of lists for food you MUST NOT EAT, but very little about WHAT YOU CAN EAT.
    I am now on a life long low fat diet, with many of my favourite foods no longer available, inc most fish, many vegetables, most meats, and nearly all convenience foods, plus most drinks too. I shall begin to look like a yoghurt soon…. Any enjoyable foods recommended? All help gratefully received. Best wishes, arthur.

3. October 17th, 2008 | 3:02 am

thank you so much for your information on gout. i am trying to get mine under control. it seems that the my general doctor doesn’t know to much about gout, and the other problems i am experiencing,which has made me upset with her. thanks again for all your information it has been helpful,to the point i will be telling doctor things she doesn’t know. thanks again

4. Paul
    October 17th, 2008 | 4:52 am

I have been taken a supplement called gout well for 3 month s and so far no attacks ! so i thought i pass this miracle !!!! so far !! but i try to no as much as possible cause you never know

5. Lilian
    October 17th, 2008 | 10:54 am

very informative…keep it up !!

6. October 17th, 2008 | 6:15 pm

Hello Arthur -

You’re right that there seems to be lots of lists of what not too eat - but few of what can be eaten by most safely.

We’ve pulled together a guide (based on a survey of gout sufferers) that you can find on our catalog page that covers foods that you should avoid, foods to eat in moderation, and ones that can be eated with less risk.

However, here’s a couple of previous posts and some details of a study of over 40,000 people that shows the general foods that are considered OK to eat then check out this post on the blog:

7. October 17th, 2008 | 6:22 pm

Hi Alaice

One of the triggers for a gout attack can be joint trauma. As your PT tells you, the gout is likely to subside once the ankle is rehabilitated.

Although, it would still be sensible to make the appropriate lifestyle changes to keep your uric acid levels at an appropriate level just in case.

8. fructuoso cana
    October 21st, 2008 | 7:42 pm

Dear Lisa,
    Your articles send to me for free is very informative indeed. Thank you and I hope to receive more of the same in the future.